Resources for Flood Damage

If your property, orchard or crop has been impacted by recent storms and flooding know that there are various local, state and federal disaster assistance programs available to you. These programs are designed to provide growers with financial and technical assistance, but you must report your crop damage to gain access to these programs. Below is information on programs you may be eligible for and how to report damage at both federal and local levels. Always report damage and/or losses, whether you are insured or not.

IMPORTANT: Report Property Damage for Tulare, Kings, Kern and Fresno Counties

County officials are seeking assistance in documenting damage from the recent severe weather event. This information will be used to assist in collecting consolidated impact information and will be provided to State and Federal agencies as they assess damages. Completing this survey is not an offer of financial aid. Use the links below to report damage.

Fresno County

Find more helpful flood resources for Fresno County here.

Kern County

Kings County

Find more helpful flood resources for Kings County at

Tulare County

Find more helpful information, assistance programs and resources for Tulare County online at  Anyone in need of assistance completing the Property Damage Form can call the Tulare County Flood Hotline at (559) 802-9791 between 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.

NRCS California Allocates $2 Million to Assist Farmers Recover from Floods

On April 26, 2023 the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) in California announced they are setting aside $2 million in federal financial assistance to help California’s agricultural producers recover from recent flooding. This funding is in addition to recent USDA funding allocated through the USDA Emergency Watershed Protection Program (administered by NRCS) and the USDA Emergency Conservation Program (administered by the USDA Farm Service Agency).

Learn more about funding available from NRCS here.

USDA Immediate Disaster Assistance Programs for Farmers Impacted by Flooding

Farm Service Agency (FSA) offers disaster assistance and low-interest loan programs to assist farmers and ranchers in recovery efforts following recent heavy rains and flooding. Available programs that may help growers include:

Farm Loans

  • Emergency Loan Program provides loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine by animal quarantine laws or imposed by the Secretary under the Plant Protection Act.
  • Disaster Set-Aside Program provides producers who have existing direct loans with FSA who are unable to make the scheduled payments to move up to one full year’s payment to the end of the loan.  Assistance is available in counties, or contiguous counties, who have been designated as emergencies by the President, Secretary or FSA Administrator.

Farmland damage

  • Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) helps farmers and ranchers repair damage to farmlands caused by natural disasters.
  • Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) – provides agricultural producers with financial resources and one-on-one help to plan and implement improvements on the land including financial assistance to repair and prevent the excessive soil erosion caused or impacted by natural disasters.

Crop Losses

  • Noninsured Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) pays covered producers of covered non insurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory, or prevented planting occur due to natural disasters (includes native grass for grazing). Eligible producers must have purchased NAP coverage for the current crop year.
  • Tree Assistance Program (TAP) provides financial assistance to qualifying orchardists and nursery tree growers to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes, and vines damaged by natural disasters.

To establish or retain FSA program eligibility, you must report prevented planting and failed acres (crops and grasses). Prevented planting acreage must be reported on form FSA-576, Notice of Loss, no later than 15 calendar days after the final planting date as established by FSA and Risk Management Agency (RMA).

We also want to stress the importance of recordkeeping following damage created by natural disasters.  Always take photos or videos of any losses or damage. Other common documentation options include:

  • Purchase records
  • Production records
  • Bank or other loan documents
  • Third-party verification such as agronomist, PCA, etc.

For more information on these programs visit or contact your local USDA Service Center.

Articles are property of CCM; please seek permission from CCM for the use of articles and content in any way.


Start typing and press Enter to search