As wildfires continue to burn throughout the state, employers should continue taking steps to protect workers from wildfire smoke.
Per the Cal/OSHA Wildfire Smoke Standard, when the AQI for PM 2.5 is 151 or greater, employers must provide employees who work outdoors with an N-95 respirator or equivalent for voluntary use. When the AQI reaches 500 and greater, all outdoor employees are required to wear an N-95 respirator or equivalent.
Below is a list of resources and information regarding the Wildfire Smoke Standard provided by Cal/OSHA and the CA Department of Food and Agriculture
- N-95 Vendors that have current supplies of 100,000 or more: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/wildfire/List-of-N95-Vendors.pdf
- Interim Cal/OSHA Guidance for Obtaining Approval of Non-NIOSH Certified Respirators for Compliance with Cal/OSHA’s Emergency Temporary Standard for Wildfire Smoke (8 CCR Section 5141.1) when N-95 or Equivalent NIOSH-Approved Respirators Are Unavailable https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/wildfire/Guidance-for-Approval-Non-NIOSH-Respirators-Wildfire.pdf
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of N95 Respirators for Wildfire Smoke Events During Respirator Shortages https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/wildfire/Strategies-Optimizing-Supply-N95-Respirators-Wildfires.pdf
- N-95 Instructions:https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/dosh_publications/N95-mask-questions.html
- Flyer on Wearing a N-95:https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/wildfire/n95EngSpan.pdf
Wildfire Smoke Standard and Training
- Cal/OSHA Wildfire Smoke Standard:https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/doshreg/Protection-from-Wildfire-Smoke/Wildfire-smoke-emergency-standard.html